Start a new topic

Interactive game embeds

So, this idea is more general/conceptual and based on some of my anecdotal impressions of Cohost as a platform and its community. I think it’s pretty ambitious, might not appropriate to dedicate resources to at this moment, maybe something to think about in the longer term.

I think one of Cohost’s greatest strengths is the unique way it encourages creativity in interactive media, as seen with CSS Crimes in particular. The other big thing I noticed is that game developers and programmers are somewhat overrepresented here. Part of what makes Cohost so excellent is that the general vibe here incentivizes the very best parts of internet communities, and one of the ways we see that manifest is in its encouraging novel uses of CSS and HTML to create social experiences that can’t really be found anywhere else on the Web.

It would be interesting to see what would result from leaning further into this.

What if there was a feature for securely sandboxed JavaScript/wasm games, or maybe transpiled Love2D games, maybe even a native JavaScript “game engine” that’s specifically designed for small games embedded directly into Cohost posts. Maybe the engine could provide interesting Cohost-related APIs, like allowing the game to react to users’ interactions to a post (a like gives you an extra life, pulling your profile data for a high score leaderboard, etc). Could also integrate with your eventual payments/tipping feature to allow users to monetize their games in novel ways.

I don’t know if any of the specific ideas here are feasible or valuable enough to pursue, but I guess my point is that it might be cool to develop features that lean into the specific aspects of Cohost that set it apart from other social apps.

No matter the outcome, I think you’ve all created something really special and unique here and couldn’t thank you enough. The vibe here just feels tailor-made to attract people I’m interested in following. Easily the first-ever social app that actually feels good to use.

Login or Signup to post a comment