Start a new topic

Consider moving Cohost to the AT Protocol to cut down costs

It seems clear that this shutdown primarily stems simply from a lack of finances due to server upkeep costs. However, this seems like something that could be mitigated through a change in the server architecture, without changing any aspects of the platform itself. I also believe I could connect Cohost with network engineers who would be more than happy to help out in the transition. Many people in Cohost right now seem to be moving to Bluesky as a fallback. Bluesky itself is actually a proof-of-concept for the AT Protocol, a communications protocol intended to allow independent platforms with separate features, post structures, and monetization strategies while at the same time reducing platform costs and keeping interoperability with a wider social media ecosystem. You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT_Protocol But I can give you a quick rundown of why atproto could significantly cut upkeep costs for Cohost: In atproto, many of the aspects of running a social media site (such as storing data and indexing posts) are relegated to separate, independently run services within the protocol to cut computational and storage costs for platforms. For example, user data is stored in independently-run, cheaply stored servers over which users have total control. All network indexing is performed by "relays" which provide a data stream for services like Cohost to process and display without needing to index posts. The protocol's architecture is designed such that platforms can stop worrying about hosting all of the aspects of running a social media site and delegate that to users and the protocol. Essentially, instead of having to worry about hosting user data AND indexing posts, you all could simply focus on displaying posts indexed as specific to YOUR platform through your client. By delegating the expensive aspects of the services to microservices within the protocol, it's completely possible that Cohost could break even and keep filling the niche that it does. Additionally, if Cohost *were* to shut down still, users would not lose all their posts, data, and connections along with it. Anyone could make a new service to display those same posts. I think the protocol provides the kind of data security that Cohost users want, while still allowing you to exist as your own independent platform, with your own Cohost-specific ethos and features, separate from platforms like Bluesky. I'm acquainted with many members of the Bluesky Social team, and they always seem open to the idea of helping out struggling platforms like yourself integrate themselves into the protocol, and even allow them to leverage their existing infrastructure to support them. I highly recommend you skim the Wikipedia page for the protocol, as it described how the protocol works much better than I do. If you are interested in exploring this possibility, please do let me know and I'm sure I can connect you to Bluesky devs who would be more than willing to help you leverage the protocol and migrate Cohost over to atproto, since I know you are all short on cash. I really hope you consider this!

1 person likes this idea
1 Comment

Even if their hosting and server overhead costs were $0 they wouldn't be breaking even this month. This would not fix things and it's too late to do that anyway, they aren't getting paid to do this kind of massive overhaul now.
Login or Signup to post a comment